Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My dressage trainer...

Is awesome.  He competed in the Pan American Games, and really knows his stuff.  I think that with any trainer/trainee relationship, you have to be able to communicate and understand each other.  And I think we do that well.  He also understands my horse, who is young and only learning, and he is great with him.

We have the show season coming up, and while we are more focused on the training side of things, so we can progress, we want to do some shows for the experience.  

Today he rode my horse, as he often does, so that he has an understanding of what is going on when I am riding, how my horse feels etc.  Dressage is an art, it is about communicating with the horse through a series of "aids" which tell the horse what to do.  These "aids" are given with your seat (your butt in the saddle), your legs, which are split up into the thigh and lower leg, and your body - which is split up into your hips, stomach and shoulders and then your head....and of course your arms, which are split up into your elbows, wrists and hands.....

Confused yet?

You try riding it!!!

It is obviously a lot more detailed than that, but that gives you and idea.  So at any time, you are communicating with one or a couple of these different body parts to tell the horse what to do.

As confusing as it is for the rider, imagine the horse?  That is why it takes years to train a dressage horse.

But my baby is coming along very well.  He is such a pride and joy....and he does try.  And I know he gets tired, I know he gets sore muscles, and I know he just sometimes does not want to go to "school"....but he is always a sweet natured, kind and giving guy.

2 comments:

  1. And you are an experienced dressage rider on this new horse? Have you competed for YEARS in the Dressage world? I watch on RFD-TV Dressage and it's fascinating. I've ridden on horses in western gear and hunter seat and some jumping YEARS ago. I love hunter seat - but not jumping. :( Too scawed. :) LOL!
    I'm going to look for pix of your lovely horse now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Bevy,
    Yes ridden for years, but this guy is new to the dressage world.....you can read all about him on my new page Tee, The Thoroughbred....which I am trying to navigate and get to work!!!

    ReplyDelete