Tuesday, March 29, 2011

To Home School or Not To Home School

We are seriously talking about home schooling our son.  He is only young right now, but I have read and talk to so many people about how upset they are with the current schooling system.  


People think I am nuts when I mention it, more because I find a lot of the mums want to have some down time to themselves, which is fair enough, and/or they are concerned about the social aspects....but I can tell you that I have no friends from high school, I now live on the other side of the world, and high school and school are not my favorite memories from growing up - actually they are from things I did outside school, like Pony Club, Music, etc.


So the question is, if you can home school, and give your child/children outside interests with other kids that they can make friends with.....what other benefits are they getting at school?  My son is already in swimming classes, music classes and attends The Little Gym.  So he is already interacting and making friends.....which have nothing to do with whatever school he may or may not attend......

1 comment:

  1. My son has a couple of children in his class that were home-schooled and then moved in to the school system. Although the parents had their children in lots of other activities while home schooling, the parents felt their children were still not accepted as much by their friends in the activities b/c it seemed the friends gravitated more toward the friends they were in both school and activities with.

    Not sure if I said that clearly but just giving you what was expressed to me by home schooling parents.

    I on the other hand really look forward to the yearly Christmas Concert when all the kids are singing, the art projects they bring home, bring your parent to school day, donuts with dad and muffins with mom for breakfast, the field trips and all those great things we had as kids. Not to mention seeing how proud the kids are of everything they accomplish.

    Now if it is just a matter of the school system not being what you think it should be, then you might just have to make sure you find your kids a school that is up to your standards. I don't think they ALL bad.
    My son's school is GREAT and I can't imagine ever moving him from it. He is in a small school that the principal is on top of the education of the children and makes sure they have all they need. I am totally amazed by it. My son is learning so much more than I ever did at his age and testing out of the park. I believe it is all b/c of the great school he is in. Socially he has excelled as well.

    When it comes down to it though, you have to be comfortable with your decision, no one else does. Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete